Friday, November 9, 2012

Scrabble Lady & Poker-Mom


Another Saturday goes by.

As usual, I reach home by 430a.m, after doing everything that had to be done, I finally got into bed by around 5.

Just when my body thought of shutting down for the day, it was rudely awakened by my phone, which had screamed and vibrated itself to an orgasm.

Yeah, phones don’t do that, not literally anyway.

It was a notification, for somebody had played their turn on the online multiplayer version of Scrabble. That somebody, is the “Scrabble Lady”, the simplicity of our interaction, is beautiful, we’ve been playing together for a while now, and the only thing we know about each other is the name and the countries we live in, we end up chatting whenever we the time, on general topics.

We've never had any awkward moments , because there's this comfort level we share, which is weird for someone I met by clicking a button, she's an amazing person to talk to, has a great personality, and she's one of the rare sane ones you find over the internet.

There’s also somebody else, I call my “Poker-Mom”, for she is somebody I met through the online Poker gaming scene. Again, a random interaction, but a much closer one than the scrabble-lady. She’s actually a great form of support, and a great person to talk to, pretty much like a second mother, and hence the name.

It’s weird, the existence of a whole other world, the virtual one.
A virtual world, generated by the numerous social-networking websites, online-gaming websites and other such interactive mediums, which has brought the entire planet under one roof.

A virtual world, where everybody is perfect. Every individual has been given the ability to play god on him/herself and portray themselves in a way only they can see themselves.
The way I see it. The virtual world, is one where little girls become ladies, little boys become men and men become little girls.

The technology these days, including mobile-phones, computers are produced, keeping these in mind. They are well adapted to social-networking and gaming, which increases their demand in the current market.
But then again, like all things, there are many perspectives of looking at this case.
Let’s take a look at the negatives.

The openness and the transparency in private data on such websites, is an obvious risk. It’s almost like waiting bent over, in a way. Then comes the topic of imitations, duplications and defamations. There have been countless cases of girls being harassed by unknown people, by other sending crude messages, by sneaking into profiles and copying images and creating a duplicate profile.

The “will u make fraandsheep wid mee” messages to girls from random strangers are pretty famous.

Personally, I’ve not had a negative issue, ‘cuz well, for one, I’m not a 15 year old retarded girl who clicks less than appropriate pictures of herself and not bother about privacy settings after uploading.
(It’s funny how it gets almost sexist, ever heard of a guy’s profile being hacked into? It’s obviously not “cool” to do so in the mentally-sick community)

No negatives for me, also because, I’m twice the size of normal human-beings, and I get beastly when I’m angry.
But hey, it’s not only a path strewn with thorns, for a sane, mentally stable person who cares for his/her privacy, such websites can be a boon. Why, even I use them to publicize this very blog. It helps me get in touch with people I’d lost touch with years ago, and stay in touch with people who matter, also ignore and block those who do not.

Many companies in the present day, ask for the link of the individual’s social-networking profile, so that they can gauge the person, by the kind of activities he/she may take part in.
I see it the way it’s meant to be seen, for networking, for keeping in touch with friends, scouting for job/internship opportunities. I’ve met some really cool people over such platforms, people who look at things the way I do.

I even started speaking to my present girlfriend of four years, after I saw that she listens to my favorite metal-band through her social profile. Before that, being in the same school, we both were pretty much strangers.

It gets really hilarious at times, on these platforms.
Like, when some lil’ dude acts all manly over the internet. I mean, common, what’re you going to do? CapsLock my ass?

Let it be the Virtual world, or the Real one. Stay true. There’s literally only one of you in this world. There’s no need to be somebody else.
Chill, Make friends, Drink, listen to good music, have amazing conversations. There’s a lot more to life, I’ve realised.
Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment