Sunday, November 18, 2012

Chandler's Third Nipple


All "Friends" devotees would remember the exact episode I'm talking about here. The one where the girl with a prosthetic leg who freaks out on seeing chandler's "nubbin".

The thing about the series is that no matter how much I try to not like it, I can't stop identifying with it. Same with probably everybody in the world which made it the biggest and longest running sitcoms ever.

I bet nobody can identify with any one particular character, that's the sheer genius in the writing of the show, there is a Monica, a Ross, a Chandler, a Rachel, a Joey, a Phoebe and even a Gunther and Janice in all of us.

So why this particular episode?

It portrays, subtly so, the most common features of man, passing judgments about people and learning to deal with them eventually if needed. As the show starts Chandler's the one freaking out about her fake leg, when he does deal with it, she freaks out after seeing his "nubbin".

We all do this, every single moment in our lives. I mean in general, not particularly about stumps and three nipples. Everytime you see a pretty girl with an old guy, your brain screams Golddigger/slut, she may/may not actually be in love with him, not anybody's problem, everytime you see a guy being slightly emotional, GAY! Well again, he may/may not be, not anybody's problem.

The magic words being, its not anybody's problem, unless it actually is theirs. The only business you should be minding, is yours. Nothing justifies judging others, prematurely atleast.

I mean if somebody I guessed would be annoying is infact annoying and continues annoying me, I would put him through a wall, but it's that initial chance is what I'm talking about. Give that to people, you'd be surprised by what they can offer/add to your existing network of people. You can always undo it later if required, like in my example, but once you've shot yourself in the foot, it's way more difficult mending fences then.

As I said, you can not guess as to who you'd end up needing when and vice-versa. The world functions on convenience, where "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" is a tried and tested formula. Stick with it.

It's awesome having 3-5 friends who are closest to you, but there is not harm in having a network of over hundreds of others who may come in handy, or someone you can help whenever you can, IF you know how to manage them well.

The concept of having these networks is now being used on an enormous scale, from spreading awareness about a social issue to acquiring well paying jobs, nationally and internationally.

So I end this(as I'm getting late for gym) by saying that you would not want anybody to judge you within 10 seconds, give that same respect and advantage to the people you interact with.

I'm not saying be over-friendly, I'm saying be receptive, to them, their talents and their ideas and you'll find them being the same towards you. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment