Thursday, February 17, 2011

Inside Man – The War Within


India is a country of great diversity, being home to numerous religions, and with them the sometimes ridiculous beliefs and rituals. In the midst of all the mixture and chaos, our nation still manages to run itself, perfectly, but that’s a whole different issue.
Me, personally, I do not believe in any of the above. I believe things I can see and touch and I refuse to believe that there is an invisible human being who keeps account of my every action, who will assign me heaven if I worship him, or I would burn in the fiery fires of hell for all of eternity, and yeah, apparently he loves us.

That being said, one evening, after one of our drinking/smoking sessions, a very good friend of mine(a god-fearing guy) and me decided to go to our club, to chill. The conversation, which we had that day, barring the fact that we were drunk and stoned to oblivion, was possibly one of the best I’ve had.

No, I didn’t become a “believer”, but what that conversation did, was to open our heads to a completely new perspective to look things as we both brought completely different ideas to the table.

The new perspective, is what I’m going to share with you now.

The topic of our conversation, somehow reached the two major Mythological “stories” – The Ramayana and The Mahabharatha, which again, cannot be proven chronologically, yet the flats of Kurukshetra are considered to be land the “holy war” was fought upon.

Again, discarding the “Godly-human” perspective of these great tales, I managed to see through to the scientific side of these books (credit the drunk bugger spazzing out on the pool-chair beside mine), The Ramayana talks about the tale of Rama and Ravana, Whereas, The Mahabharatha talks about the Pandavas and Kauravas, the tale of “victory of the good” and the war between two sets of brothers born to the same father, respectively.

Both, have a common thread, the same every sad Bollywood movie does, A Hero and a Villian, his minions and a woman. Doesn’t the latter part bear a resemblance to the everyday happenings in your life? Isn’t there a good side and a bad side, within you, which are constantly at war? So were these books written, with a hidden meaning, a secret to life, with characters to make it interesting? I’d never know. Think about it.

We, somehow, hit the subjects of the Vedas, The Bhagwat-Gita and The Upanishads. For the lesser-read, The Vedas, are the “holy scriptures”, pretty much like your bible, the kuran, etc etc. The Vedas are split into 4 different books – The Rig Veda, The Yajur Veda, The Sama Veda and The Atharva Veda. These were written, scores of years ago, by scholars and monks, having read them, they’re as scientific as your average science textbook. It’s just the matter of looking at it the right way. The Bhagwat-Gita, doesn’t need any introduction, and The Upanishads are basically as set of stories, in forms of hymns or prose, which explain the way of life.

What struck me about the above? None of them, forced or made it mandatory in any way to accept “God” or any kind of idol worship. Surprisingly, even they speak about the energy within. Which makes you, me and everybody around, god. Given, that they state the right way to live, and the correct values, according to them, But they have nowhere, asked anybody to follow them. It’s pretty much like guidelines, to who-ever wants to follow.

By the end of it, We both realised, that his version of being “god-fearing” also respects science, probably the reason why his points made sense, unlike the bigoted assholes who can’t think straight, who think its their birth-right to convert you to their religion and blame every doing on “god”.

So yeah, Bottom-line?

I Am God, You are God, Everybody is god.

I don’t mind the concept of “god”, I mean, to each his own, But it’s his fan-following that fucks my brain.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment